The Anderson Connector product range are an industry leading family of electrical connectors developed by the global Anderson Power Products. Anderson connectors are the world leader in high current and waterproof DC electrical connectors. APP are the leading global developer and manufacturer of high power interconnect solutions.
What Cable Size?
A question that commonly raises its head when it comes to the installation and use of Anderson connectors is -
- What cable size should be used with an Anderson Connector?
Firstly, lets examine how the connector works and why it is such a popular choice.
Quick, Simple Genderless Connections:
The genderless connection makes them very easy to use. You do not have to worry about colour, direction or version of the unit as they are readily compatible with one another. The genderless hermaphroditic state of the Andersen connector means that the mating surface of the unit includes both male and female aspects with complementary paired identical parts each containing protrusions and indentations. This set up is ideal when it comes to saving time and ensuring simple and quick compatibility.
Anderson Connectors & Cable Sizes:
Here at Truck Electrics we supply 3 sizes of Anderson Connector: 50 Amp Andersons, 175 Amp Andersons & 350 Amp Andersons. We will take a moment to take a look at each, and the appropriate cable size that should be used in each instance.
50A Anderson Connector - 16mm² Battery Cable
For the 50 Amp Grey Anderson connector you should be using 16mm battery cable. This cable is available on truck electrics in black or red and is sold in 10 metre rolls. The cable is petrol, oils and acid resistant and is rated to 110 Amps.
175A Anderson Connector - 35mm² Battery Cable
For the 175 Amp Grey Anderson connector you should be using 35mm battery cable. This cable is available on site in black or red and is sold in 10 metre rolls. The cable is petrol, oils and acid resistant and is rated to 240 Amps.
350A Anderson Connector - 50mm² Battery Cable
For the 350 Amp Grey Anderson connector you should be using 50mm battery starter cable. This cable is available on site in either black or red and is sold in 10 metre rolls. The cable is petrol, oils and acid resistant and has conductor specification of 395/0.40
Advantages of Anderson Power Connectors:
- High Current Systems - they are ideal for use with high current systems and have been designed to offer minimal contact resistance.
- High Durability - the durability and robust nature of these units allows for 10,000 mating cycles across their lifetime. They also demonstrate excellent resistance to chemicals such as solvents and hydro carbons.
- Easy Quick Assembly - the genderless connection feature facilities quick and easy assembly and reduces inventory requirements.
- Finger Probe Safe - the housing has been designed to help prevent any accidental contact with live components - in compliance with the UL 1950 finger probe test.
- Colour Coded - the colour of the Anderson Power Connector designates the recommended application voltage as per industry standards. This safety feature helps prevent two different voltage colour housings from being connected and avoids the occurrence of a mismatch between power supplies/ electrical systems.
Anderson Powerpole Connector:
The Anderson Powerpole Connector facilitates a quick, easy and secure electrical connection. The connectors are moulded with dovetails so that the housings can be interlocked to form multiple connections. The housings can be interlocked as many times as needed and different colour Andersen housings can be utilised. The housings simply and quickly slide into place to create multiple connections.
Share this post